Thursday, April 13, 2017

Avoiding naturally-occurring gluten might lead to more type 2 diabetes

Gluten-free diets usually lead to grain free diets.  However, eating more whole grain food is associated with less inflammation [1] and fewer infections as well as less cancer, cardiovascular disease, mortality from any cause, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. [2]  In addition, foods advertised as “gluten free” are usually very high in refined carbohydrates such as flours made from potato, rice, and tapioca.

In a recent analysis of 199,794 participants studied for over 20 years in the Nurses Health Study (NHS II) and Health Professionals Follow-Up Study (HPFS), those with the highest consumption of gluten had the lowest levels of type 2 diabetes. [3]

My recommendation:
Unless you have a compelling reason (such as celiac disease) to avoid gluten, I recommend including minimally-processed whole grains (whole wheat, rye berries, whole hull-less barley, etc.) in your diet on a daily basis.  The health benefits are inescapable; don’t get caught up in the gluten-free fad!  However, I suggest avoiding products with ingredient lists that include added gluten, which always refers to refined gluten; naturally-occurring gluten will not be on the ingredient list.  To read more about gluten see pages 40-41 of Good Food, Great Medicine (3rd edition).  We talk about the health benefits of eating whole grains on pages 23-25 and why we all should avoid highly-refined grains on page 46.   

Miles Hassell MD



2 comments:

  1. Note that in type 1 diabetes or juvenile onset diabetes mellitus, the body mistakenly produces antibodies and inflammatory cells that attack the pancreas and render it incapable of producing enough insulin. Experts believe that the tendency of the body to produce excessive amount of antibodies is genetically inherited. This means that some are predisposed to type 1 diabetes type 2 diabetes
    mellitus while others are not. Children whose father or mother have type I diabetes are at risk of contracting the disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW MY HEART DISEASE WAS CURED BY DOCTOR AGIE KHERE
    I thank God for my life, I will says to the world to celebrate this great testimony with me, i never believe i can ever get rid of these horrible disease one day. My story and thanksgiving goes to Doctor Ogie Khere the powerful man who helped me to cure my Heart disease from my life. I don't know how to say this to everyone, Doctor Ogie Khere is a truthful man with high herbs power's he uses to save people's life. Last few days i came in contact with Doctor Ogie Khere emails on the internet which people gave much testimonies about his kind fullness work. So i decided to contact him quickly because this disease was almost on the last step of taking my life from me. I have tried all my best in life to get heal but nobody could ever help apart from Doctor Ogie Khere who finally help me to cure my Heart disease from me. I always amazed and overwhelmed when the doctor confirm that i am now healed from Heart disease, because i have tried so many Dortors, who go away with my money, i am an Heart disease negetive patient. I wish anyone who is sick today and wants a healing please i will kindly advice you to contact this man called Doctor Ogie Khere now at: doctorogiekhere@gmail.com To get this powerful healer full article and trust on his origination and references please visit him now again at: doctorogiekhere@gmail.com or you whatsapp +2347056024545 I thank God for my life today i am free from disease, may God bless you all Amen.

    ReplyDelete